NOTE: If you have not set your default taxes in Settings - you will not be able to add Material or Labour. Instead, you will be prompted with an alert message saying 'Administrator to update company tax settings via a browser'.
NOTE: Whatever you have set as your default taxes in Settings will be inherited by the Billable (the unit price being tax exclusive or inclusive) and will NOT change it the tax settings are later updated.
NOTE: Many accounting packages to not track tax inclusion/exclusion, and rely on the user to be consistent in the the parts and labour unit prices are added. We strongly encourage you to follow this approach in GeoNext.
Billables in Geo are separated into Materials and Labour which are used to input the chargeable items required by your business.
It is important to note, that only an Admin will be able to access Billables.
Adding Billables is simple. Clicking on the BILLABLES tab on the navigation menu will take you to the Billables screen.
Clicking the [ADD NEW] button will allow you to add a company material. Labour is added the same way.
Adding Materials and Labour
Below is a screenshot of what you will see when adding a material, here are some definitions for each of the fields to help you understand what goes where:
- Code - is an optional field that can be filled with alphanumeric figures. (NB: This field is automatically populated if not filled in by user)
- Name - is an optional descriptor of the billable you are adding.
- Description - is a mandatory field that can be filled with alphanumeric figures. This field is used to describe the Line Items as they appear on Quotes and Invoices.
- Cost - is mandatory and refers to the purchase cost of the item. It can use numbers and symbols only (e.g. 5.25) and will default to 0 if left blank.
- Margin - is mandatory and can use numbers and symbols only. Users can choose between entering a % or $ amount. This is auto-calculated based off the Cost and Before Tax fields if left blank.
- Before Tax Unit Price - is mandatory and refers to the sale price of the item. It can use numbers and symbols only (e.g. 5.25). If a Cost and Margin are added then it and is auto-calculated based off the cost and margin fields, and it can also be overwritten as required.
- Tax - is mandatory and is an input field with a drop down. The Tax field by default will have the Tax that has been selected in settings, but can be changed per Material.
- Total - this is an auto-calculated field, Before Tax Unit Price + Tax = Total (for a single item of this billable.)
Edit Material or Labour
On the Billables screen, your Material and Labour are shown under separate tabs. Clicking on an item allows you to preview that Material or Labour. To edit the Material or Labour click the pen icon.
Once changes are made, select '✓' on the uppermost right corner of the screen to save.
Delete Material and Labour
On the Billables screen, on either the Material or Labour tab, check then box of the item/s you want to delete, or click 'Select All' to select all items on the current page. Once you have selected what you want to delete, select the trash bin icon in the top right hand corner to delete the selected item/s or do one at a time using the trash bin icon at the each of each line item.
Once the trash bin icon has been selected, a pop-up will appear which will allow you to confirm the deletion action.